Friday, March 18, 2011

The Film Industry is Redonkulous

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
I can be a terribly indecisive person. I really struggle over choosing the right course of action. Well, I've just been interviewed for a part time job at a spa - this is my first job application sans Miles: my ex-manager who was giving me an undeserved shit employment reference. I'm really excited because this job would import some stability into in my life and allow me to learn professional skin care. I'd be able to work on some makeup gigs and my own projects on my days off, which would be perfect. In the meantime, I've just completed my first day of three weeks' demo work for Maybelline. It was, um... alright, I suppose. I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the next three weeks of Walmart, though.

So that's all fine and dandy, but then tonight I was looking at Craigslist and came across a posting seeking a Makeup Artist with experience applying lace hair pieces. Food, travel, and accommodation would be covered plus a day rate comparative with lower-tier union rates. That's a good job. Involving travel. It pays well. I want that job, but I can't have it if I keep the Maybelline job. On one hand, I would probably make invaluable industry connections. On the other hand, I need income, and I hate backing out of something once I've committed to it. How am I supposed to work in the film industry and make contacts plus enough money to pay the rent? How do I know which opportunities are worth losing my day job over? I've decided to pass this one up and keep the Maybelline job, which might have been the wrong decision, but I will never know. Maximum frustration, right there.

Another dilemma:
Have you heard of a show called "Face Off" that runs on the Syfi and Space Channels? Special effects makeup artists compete in a series of challenges and their makeups are judged by some of the industry's finest. I really want to be part of that show. They just announced a second season yesterday and my adrenaline hit the ceiling - I started planning my audition tape and everything. Then I read through the fine print and realized that you have to be a U.S. resident to enter. My adrenaline proceeded to fall to the floor.

I emailed the casting and asked if there was any way they would consider allowing a Canadian. After all, Conor, the first season's winner, was apparently from Ontario (Although he might have had duel citizenship or something). The response I got from them was that they were considering changing it, however at the time the casting was only open to U.S. residents. They clarified that you didn't have to be a citizen, just had to be living in the U.S. 

Now what do I do? Do I go through all the effort to make an audition tape anyway, and hope that maybe they might accept my entry? I know the chance I'll ever be on that show is practically non-existant. Sometimes being Canadian sure has it's disadvantages, eh?

Ciao <3
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment